Thursday, October 16, 2014

Missionary Work, Promises and The Spirit of the Holy Ghost

So this letter is just gonna have little bits of experiences, nothing really flows. 

I love being in an appointment and 1) finding out someones concerns and helping solve that concern. or 2) using a scripture or asking a question and just feeling the spirit fill the room (there really is a tangible feeling of the spirit)

This happened the other night when we were teaching an active family about missionary work.  I started by saying or telling about how when the missionaries came to the house and taught about missionary work nothing would really happen, So I tried to emphasize that our purpose at their house was to help them become missionaries on their own! 

We shared Alma 17:2-3, 11 which talks about things we should do to become instruments for Heavenly Father, and out of nowhere I asked if they were scared/worried about the world their kids had to grow up in.  They said, "yes, but we have the gospel. so we don't need to worry."  I replied, "exactly! Don't you think there are other parents who are worried but don't have the peace of mind that you have?"  The spirit filled the room and they committed to fast and pray about finding someone or to become aware of someone who they needed to help!  They approached me Sunday with a family whom we have tried to visit but they just need a really great fellow shipper and now they have someone. YEAH!  Hopefully they can go somewhere now. 

So as I mentioned in my email Elder Bowen came to our mission, we talked about obedience and  1) he asked if we knew someone who should be on a mission but isn't 2) why are we serving missions.  I automatically thought about a friend and he said, "the reason they aren't on missions is because they don't understand the doctrine".  If they understood His plan they would be out. So I was thinking that no matter how great men are if they don't go on missions they don't understand the doctrine of the church.  If I want a strong family who can face the temptations and events of the second coming I need a valiant faithful returned missionary. 

Elder Bowen gave us 3 things that will change our missions. 1) Arise, not just wake up by 6:30am.  2) Have nightly planning every night.  3) talk to 20 people each day.  He said that we go around asking people to change their lives give up life long habits and sometimes cherished relationships for the gospel, BUT we cant ask people to do that if we aren't exactly obedient to the simplest mission rules.  Such as planning and waking up. There is much at stake to be just a little lazy!  I at least felt good knowing the things I could do on uy own I ws doing and the compaionship stuff is getting better. Anyways it was a really great conference and I learned so much  

We also talked about who we are and who we may have been in pre0earth life. Think about it.....Abraham was a "Nobel and great one"  and opened the way for everyone to receive the gospel!  Christ was a God who created this world then came here as a man.  Adam as we know was Michael who helped create the world!  They all passed through the veil and were subject to the challenges of mortal life.  Just like us!!  So, who exactly were we before this life?  What did we do?  What role did we play>  What promises did we make our Heavenly Father? This really pressed upon my mind since I have a glimpse of who I was and how I promised y Savior I would come here to the Philippines and we had a "friendship"  Who was I? What exactly did I promise to do here?  YIKES!  So many questions.  Hopefully each one of us are able to live up to our promises and his desire everyday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment